Saturday, March 21, 2009

STILL COMING!

OUR BIG NATIVES ARE HERE!

I stopped by the fish ladder at Winchester on the NU yesterday after fishing and it was full of fish. Not only was it encouraging to see good numbers of chrome fish still making their way upriver, it was great to see a couple exceptional fish. I saw two fish in the 20lb class and at least 6 in the mid to high teens. I am guessing this will be one of those years we see our best fishing up in the fly water the last week of March and first half of April. Despite great water conditions, our fishing up there the last couple days has been slow. I just think we are a week or so away from having our biggest slug of fish reach the fly water.

On other fronts, our fishing on the coast will continue through the end of the month. I have been busy on the NU because that is where my anglers have opted to fish but, I have been getting good reports from some of our rivers on the coast side of the mountains. Two days ago a buddy of mine had a day they hooked 12 and landed 7. I am sure we could have headed west and had good fishing. That is the problem with the North - it is an addictive place that can consume an anglers interest. It is often times hard to get my anglers excited about venturing away no matter how good the prospects are elsewhere.

I am also looking forward to getting back down on the Rogue. I have heard reports that the majority of our fish have been holding up low in the system. We should see the dam counts do nothing but improve over the next couple weeks. My best fishing on the upper Rogue is generally the first two weeks of April.

I will also take this opportunity to post some pics from recent trips.


Steve Rose with a chrome buck still sporting sea lice with tails. The sea lice had not even lost their tails yet - only hours out of the salt!!! It was an amazingly strong fish. It was only one of a number of fish we had that day.


A couple more from John and Steve's trip.

Judy Nakawatase with a 33" chrome hen. The biggest fish we saw on a productive day over on the coast.

Shiz with one of his from a day he went 5 for 5.

Judy with one of the big bucks she had from a 3 day trip where they hooked 17!

No comments: